See also a list of snacks and products to buy. Please note that this list is geared towards Fructose Malabsorption and not low FODMAPs. This is an especially restricted diet for those diagnosed with FM looking to avoid almost any fructose and table sugar.
A general rule for FM is:
- observe F/G value, which should be smaller than 1 (i.e. less fructose than glucose in food)
- absolute fructose content of food product should not be over 3g per serving.
Most fruit servings must be limited to small quantities (1/2 C. or less) and spread throughout the day. Those fruits listed with an asterisk* might not be tolerated. No fruit juices or dried fruit should be consumed.
- Prickly Pear Fruit
- Apricot* (1 small fruit)
- Bok Choy
- Swiss Chard
- Turnip Greens
- White Mushrooms
- White potatoes
- Rice (brown, white, red, black)
- Rice noodles
- Cornmeal/Grits (though we avoid due to a non-IgE corn allergy)
- Gluten-free low or no sugar cereals
- Gluten-free pastas (watch for corn if you’re sensitive)
- Gluten-free baking mixes (watch for added sugar and/or corn if sensitive)
- Rice crackers
- Rice cakes
- Many FM sufferers are also Lactose intolerant, but can eat lactose-free or low-lactose foods. We have a non-IgE dairy allergy, so I’ve not listed those foods here.
- Rice cooker (handy for making rice, quinoa, and millet)